Thursday, January 12, 2012

Deaf Dogs Really Don't HEAR!

It really is true!

Perhaps they may hear a high pitched noise. Perhaps they may hear a sound. But most likely they feel vibrations more than anything. So, beware of unfriendly dogs!

My deaf dog did not hear the big white German Shepard who was barking at him. His owner was freaking out because my dog had seen his dogs and was inquisitive and quickly ran towards them. We had seen them with the man's wife, we exchanged pleasantries when we saw one another but always took the dogs separate ways. Her husband was a young man with a big white German Shepard he could not control, the little wiener dog and the big white dog were walking away from the dog yard outside my back door. My friendly muscular two year old Boston must have been intrigued as he decided in a split second to run up to the Big White dog and his little wiener dog friend. My dog paws at them, jumps on them and then it went very wrong.

My dog clearly wanted to play, but with the owner was freaking out and backing away, the Shepard then into attack mode. Perhaps the Shepard was trying to protect his owner who was saying "no", "go away" - alas my poor deaf dog could not hear him!

I was putting out his clean wet crate tray outside to dry in our shared dog space at the apartment complex. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my dog run from our doorway. He is good and does not usually walk out I guess this temptation of two dog playmates was too inviting, another set of dogs to check out, another set of dogs to play with. In an instant I realized the dogs and their owner were about to walk out of sight behind a bush in front of my back yard patio. I saw my dog run off out the corner of my eye, I quickly kicked off my slippers. Slipped on my Keds and ran after my dog.

The Shepard had backed up into the owner further into the dog yard, my dog had moved forward and pawed the Shepard. The Shepard lunged at my dog,snarled at him, barked and lunged in for any part of my dog. The Big white dog grabbed my dog by his hind quarters and threw him on the ground. A splash of water came down as my dog hit the ground. It was raining. I knew the water had saturated the ground, I could not avoid the puddles and I ran as fast I could. It was  cold, but I could not feel the cold. I slowed down and walked between the owner and my dog as my dog went down on the ground again. The big white German Shepard and the little wiener dog were snarling, the owner could not control his big dog. I  quickly scooped up my dog.

Told the young man. "My dog is deaf he cannot hear." I had my dog in my arms, and walked away with my Boston Terrier as mud dripped off his body onto my sweater and pants.

Adrenaline works mysteriously when you see your furry child attacked. I was horrified to see blood dripping down his leg as I walked toward my back door. Did not know where it was coming from nor how badly my dog was bitten. I walked in the apartment, threw the back door closed. I yelled at my husband.

"The dog was bitten."

"Capone" was attacked. I walked down the hall grabbed the dog shampoo in the closet as I walked past the hall on the left. Walked in our bedroom and into the bathroom, threw him in my shower. Washed his muscular little body down, as the mud washed off his body I saw his leg was torn and bitten. He was in shock. I dried him, he was confounded.

Showed his leg to my husband. He went to look for the other dogs and owner. They were no where in sight. I was horrified. I explained to my husband what had happened, he was cleaning the crate area.

Capone was taken to the vet, he was shaved, wounds irrigated. Given pain meds and antibiotics. I was scared the dog was going to stress out and worried about him having an epilepsy attack. He was fine. His meds have been increased and his blood levels checked.

All I can say glad he is OK. Yes, he has been bloody, oozing everywhere, but we have a washer and dryer and is healing. But, tell you one thing. I do not like that White Shepard, we are on the lookout for the big white dog and will stay away...hope my furry child remembers not all dogs want to play and not all are friendly.

The owner and his wife have been out of sight since that time. Disappeared into their apartment.  Have not seen them on the patio which is catty corner to us. Strange, I keep thinking to myself. Couldn't control their White Shepard. That dog is gonna bite someone, maybe their young son. It is too big to live in a small apartment.

I grew up with a German Shepard, they are as mean as the owners will let them be. German Shepards need to be trained. Made me wonder about that dog and the owner...who kept calling his wife to come down and help him. Perhaps the White dog was her dog? The man never said a word to me.

(NOTE: I thought it was a German Shepard, it was dark - the white dog was a white Boxer looking dog which I saw repeated in the daylight hours after that, always avoided each other). This made Capone very protective of anyone he was walking with.

Watch out for unfriendly dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for sharing!