Monday, July 4, 2011

July 2, 2011 marks the start of life with a deaf dog

My husband and I decided to adopt a deaf male Boston Terrier dog named Capone. He is a handsome two year old with epilepsy, he unfortunately also tested Heartworm positive. He is simply a delight. Sad that he was abandoned, and had to undergo such problems at such a young age. However, now he is in good hands, we shall pamper the pooch and get him in tip top shape. 

Stephen and I decided to take the time over the long Fourth of July weekend to spend time with him and acclimate him to our little apartment. We have another male dog Rocky, who unfortunately is a crusty old man of ten and who loves being the only dog. Rocky is not a happy camper when it comes to the new big pup we brought home.

I bought a couple of books on ASL and have begun to use them with Capone. I hope that this will help me communicate with him as he cannot hear me. Beleive me I did test his hearing to verify that he has no hearing, which I must say having a dog that cannot hear is a blessing of sorts. I have also contacted a trainer for a possible class which will give me a little help. 

Check back in from time to time as I detail my experiences as I try to teach Capone sign language for dogs and get him used to life in our household. There is one thing I am sure of -- I am so glad that we have this little apt to teach Capone in, the problem will happen here preferable to learn in rental! As opposed to a new place or in our summer vacation home in the Southwest.

 

1 comment:

  1. I rec'd good news the testing from the previous vet came back negative for heartworms. My vet said he went to vet school with Capone's previous vet, he seems to be completly at ease with the test results. Capone will continue on his meds for seizures but does not have to undergo heartworm treatment.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for sharing!