Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week 3 is down - Capone's personality is emerging!

Our new Boston terrier never ceases to amaze me!

His personality is beginning to appear. He is playful, quite mouthy, likes to bark very loudly, is extremely boisterous and is almost potty trained. This was the best week so far for his potty training habits. I sincerely think we are over the initial hurdle of getting to be comfortable with each other now.

Good thing too! He had a little bout of "dogie" stomach flu. It went through him withing 48 hours I was stuck at home with a sick dog, put him on the BRAT diet after 24 hours and he managed each and every time to make it outside to eliminate. I was very thankful. He is now paper trained too, and I have found that I can put him out before I leave to go to the grocery store, go workout and he will eliminate on the paper if he does not do his business beforehand. Which happens as he is still young, immature and sometimes forgets to do his business outside so it is much easier to clean the "potty" paper and anything which falls on the carpet. Also, suggest that you get an oversize rug to put under the area where your pet had marked in the house as it makes it much easier to clean up the messes your dog will leave. My older dog is rat terrier, he rarely if ever goes inside the house but there is an occasion or two when it was snowing out and you simply cannot get them to go out into the cold wet snow to eliminate.

I have been reading books like crazy on the subject of training difficult to train dogs, "Training the Hard to Train Dog " by Peggy Swagger and also "Cesar's Way" by Cesar Millan with Melissa Jo Peltier. It is much too difficult to find books on the subject of training deaf dogs, again I must let folks out there know there are just not enough books on this subject. I have found great comfort in the books I am reading as they are gently letting me know that the dogs tune into us and our emotions. So, that said, do try to maintain your calm confident leader of the pack composure when dealing with the new deaf dog. He cannot hear you, you do not know how many times you will have to remind yourself about the fact that he cannot hear -- the dog reads your emotions and body cues and looks at your face and takes it cues from those things. The deaf dog also follows and mimics your hearing dog. So, the deaf dog will learn all the bad traits your hearing dog knows.

I start each day with a brisk 15 min walk with the dogs (trying to work them both up to a cumulative total of 60 minutes of walking daily), make sure to exercise and play with them to wear them out in the morning and again in the afternoon (if not possible due to heat then play with them indoors) and then again after dinner. I feed the dogs after exercising, they go do their business and then sleep for a couple of hours and I do whatever I need to do (writing is one of the things I do, work on this blog or on my books). I was not aware that the dogs sense your composure by the way you hold their leashes when you walk with them, remember they are merely acting on your own emotional projections coupled with their own fears (especially in the case of a rescue dogs -- like this Boston Terrier), have discovered that must change a few things about myself so the new dog does not fight with the other older dogs (intense jealousy there), also be sure to set up a schedule intersperse throughout your day -- teach the dogs new commands and re-teach (remind) them commands, correct their behaviors 3 to 4 times a day for about 5 mins at a shot and work your way up to 20 mins at each session.

The single most difficult thing to deal with right now is the fact that our new pup is full of energy and some days requires much more playtime in the evenings as he becomes wild man and runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. I have been reading on how to re-educate a dog who bites playfully too hard and also who barks excessively. I am not sure if I need to get a crate to calm him down, I never liked crating dogs, but I might!. For now I am putting him in timeout for 15 minutes in the kitchen with a baby gate blocking the entrance -- when he bites me too hard and gets frenzied before bed time. He clearly wants another dog to play with and so I have become his play buddy as my husband still works, the other older dog (11 years) has no patience with him and since I am retired I have begun to play with him to wear him out.

Have read about and tried 1) using spray water bottles on the dog to deter biting and barking, 2) closing the dog's mouth with your fingers to stop him from barking, 3) Saying and signing "NO" with a mad face. I have not tried "The Husher" device (similar to a muzzle) nor have I tried Tabasco or lemon juice to deter mouthing or biting. The most important thing I can say is that you must find a way to teach the dog "NO" and "Quiet" as they are vital. As is "Good Dog".

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for sharing!